Saturday 5 September 2015

Sun, Fun, a KTM 400 & a Serow 225

Lucy was off running a mountain flora workshop today for the Association of Mountaineering Instructors in Langdale, so I took the opportunity to get the KTM 400 out on the trails and give it a good blast!


I've spent nearly two weeks working on this 400 now, sorting the carbs and the fact that it has sat for nearly 3 years has left it with loads of little problems that I keep just dealing with as they come up. So today was payback, get on it and ride the thing... ace stuff...

That RFS engine is magic, I can totally see why everybody says good things about them, loads of power in the light body of the KTM and all very gentle, yet a bit of a monster if you're not paying attention!


I rode plenty of lanes local to me, ones I know well, as I was conscious I was alone too, something I do rarely for some reason... it was really relaxing to just pootle and play on this bike...

The suspension is set up really hard on it, so I've had a play at softening it down some to suit my riding style and make the bike a little more responsive, not got it sorted yet, it's a bit bouncy at the moment, nearly caught me out a couple of times!

As the bike is destined for some friends of mine I called by to show them it's now running and catch up on the gossip, Richard decided to join me for the afternoon on their little Serow as I was heading to Langdale to meet up with Lucy and the guys on the course as I know a few of them.


Once Richard had warmed the Serow up, we were off, first up the Coach Road, a first for Richard and then down the side of Thirlmere and into Grasmere with its tourists and wiggly lanes, before catching the byway that runs through the bottom of Langdale and into the Stickle Barn pub for a drink and a gossip!




We sat and chatted loads to old friends, then Lucy turned up with her group and we chatted some more! Time marched on and at 5pm it was home time, a return blast up the Coach Road saw Richard have two offs on the rough uphill and then some fun in the puddles before a final road session back to his house...



The day ended with the 400 having more fuel issues, the reserve tap doesn't work, I found this out half way home as it was getting dark! I could see enough fuel to get me to a fuel station but the tap wouldn't let it run because it is so heavily corroded and gummed up inside. I managed to fill the float bowl with fuel a few times and creep some more but in the end I had to call for help.

Lucy turned up with the van and once loaded it was back home in the dark for a beer!!

New petcock ordered now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.